Like

Thursday, June 23, 2011

The dream of the 90s is alive in Portland

Yes, the dream is still alive and of course, I had that song in my head all weekend long-- thanks, Portlandia (shout-out).

So in the few years I've lived in Seattle, I never had the time nor good fortune to visit Portland, Oregon. Until now.


Fortunate for me, a couple of friends invited me to visit and stay with them last weekend. I got the royal Portland experience but the highlight for me was when we visited the Portland Saturday Market.

On a Sunday. But I digress. 

The market was divided quite discernably with one side featuring hippie junk and wears, complete with all the  adults running around barefoot, Rasta hats, puka shell necklaces and patchouli stink you could ever want (sign me up!). The other side featured what I found to be the interesting vendors who created by hand the jewelry they sold. And what marched right between the two sides? Why of course, the Pride Parade! Guess I picked the best weekend to show up!

Based upon all the artists I saw, the material of choice in Portland right now is dichroic glass, but I'm sure next week the hipsters will be so over it. Unbeknownst to me that this was the now thing, I wore a pair of my own dichroic glass earrings I bought from geM a few weeks prior and sure did the hipsters' eyes ever sparkle when they complimented me on them-- as much as a hipster's eyes can sparkle.

So I got my fill of the glass: 

Earrings with shots of cobalt and turquoise-- the colors I've eyed for the summer

Went a little ring lusty at the market. Top and bottom rings, dichroic glass. Middle ring, an old typewriter key
Speaking of the typewriter key ring, I picked up this piece at the Land Pirate Designs tent. The owner, Isaac Karami, created several rings out of old 1940s typewriter keys, which I adore. When I was seven years-old or so, I remember feverishly typing away on my mother's typewriter, creating some of my very first screenplays and 10-page "novels". My murder mystery story about a butler investigating the mysterious disappearance of his employer to prove his innocence was all the rage in my third grade class. (Spoiler alert: The wife did it. Hope you weren't planning on reading it, because I have no idea where that little gem is now.) In that regard, I love jewelry that tells a story or reminds us of something we hold dear. I'll go into that during another post, however. At Isaac's booth, I also had my sights on a copper and brass bracelet that when I told Isaac it was too big, he quickly sized it down for me. I really enjoyed his wrapped pendants too, which I think combines an industrial feel of the metal wires with the sultry designs of Egyptian motifs in some pieces-- these can be found on his Web site. But alas, a girl has to say no at some point, otherwise I wouldn't have had gas money to get me back to Seattle. Though, if his online store opens up, I'll be first in line for one of those pendants, damn it.

Copper and brass bracelet highlights the Egyptian styling- great for stacking with other bracelets... because you know I will
Right when I was about done with the Lady Gaga and Black Eye Peas fusion music blaring from the parade floats (those guys just never quit!), I came across the leather shop of Ben Milam. Ben creates cuffs and wrist wraps out of leather and adorns them with old keys, locks and bicycle parts, hence the name Cyclical Designs

A little steampunk but I love it
So my dreams came alive at the Portland Saturday Market. Oh, and another highlight, I finally got to eat that massive turkey leg I was complaining about not getting in my vintage dolls previous post. 

I concur:



Girl.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Synchronicity!

    Was just talking about Portland with the janitor at my office yesterday. He has some sort of relation, like a niece or something, that moved to Portland 3 years ago.

    I wouldn't mind visiting Portland again.

    All I saw of it was ...I think Pioneer Square?

    I get the impression Portland is what Seattle would have been, if it didn't have the dot-commers and coffee-nauts becoming insanely successful residents.

    ReplyDelete