Like

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My day job is butchering Chanel quotes and misusing potato chip slogans

I have a bone to pick with Coco Chanel.

She's a fashion icon, yes, and everything she has ever said is word, and everything she's touched has been kissed by holy kittens. Yes, these are all truths. But, my bone is with that classic Chanel line that has been quoted and requoted a billion times (and here is my own inept attempt to re-quote it. Enjoy.):

"Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take off one accessory." 

I understand the grand scheme that less is more. And if minimalism is your bag, my little Rothko friends, you can stop reading now.



However, my bone to pick, and I think Coco would agree with me, is that style and fashion is subjective and always evolving. There are no hard and fast rules in fashion anymore. People are even *gasp* wearing white after Labor Day and still getting into Heaven (I assume). I am the girl who wears several pieces of jewelry at once, as if I want my whole jewelry wardrobe buried with me. And that's my prerogative. I'm not happy with wearing just one bracelet or one necklace. One piece isn't enough to create a look for me and to tell a story. I am the Lays potato chip ad of jewelry wearers. To me, a look is comprised of all the different pieces combined effortlessly to bring to light an idea about the wearer.

What can we gather from wearing just one necklace other than the minimalist ideal that what you see is what you get? So on the other side, what do I say if I wear a necklace as a bracelet or wear several rings that compliment that necklace? An artist creates work using various mediums, inspirations and layers to tell a story. Just like a novelist uses characters, mood and plot, the same applies here; it's all relative to what narrative you want to tell.

So by day, I'm a storyteller. Gather 'round, let me tell you some stories:

A little more classically understated. Thin bangles mixed with wider bangles suggests playfullness. She's not afraid to stack her jewelry so she could be very creative is discovering new looks through jewelry. 
What is the jewerly saying in this picture? Gold, chunky and vibrant pieces might say that these girls are not afraid to take risks. Big rings might suggest that these ladies like the spotlight.


So what's your story? What can I gather about you based upon what jewelry pieces you are wearing? Or what secrets are withheld by what jewelry items speak to you and what you allow me to see?

That last one is getting a little philosophical and opens up a can of worms for a future post-- but nonetheless true. Then again, maybe I should just stick to one of the other Chanel quotes I don't have any bones with: 

"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous." -Coco Chanel 

Now that, I believe, truly IS kissed by holy kittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment