Like

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Vintage dolls inspire my summer jewelry looks

A few weekends ago, I attended the Northwest Folklife Festival and it was my intention to scout out some new jewelry pieces while simultaneously getting an earful, and eyeful, of the hippie punk movement (oh and to eat a turkey leg as big as my head-- should I have even mentioned that?). However, I was with two dudes and I didn't want to burden them with my lusts for artistic jewelry so I kept my shopping to more unisex findings.
Amidst the crowds of people hovering around the nomad street musicians-- many of which created some interesting sounds with just buckets and plain old screaming, I did come across an artist who doesn't do jewelry, but creates photo paintings of Seattle life and randomly, vintage dolls. The landscapes were pretty but of course, the antique babydoll paintings caught my eye. Not only did I get a new piece of art out of the deal, but I also received divine inspiration for a summer jewelry looks palette.

I know what you are thinking: how did I get inspiration for jewelry from vintage dolls?   

Not THAT kind of vintage doll! Don't be a creeper (but actually, I kind of like that doll-- it makes me smile; is it weird that I want to hug it and take it home??).

THIS kind of dollbaby.

Inspiration can come from anywhere and Daniel's paintings featured beautiful turquoise and aqua tones which, specifically against the muted, beige flesh tones of the dolls, spoke to me. The contrast popped and screamed summertime. I also liked the idea of the scarred and cracked, but sweet-faced babydolls. Tenderness mixed with a spark of edge. This can be achieved through a beautiful, eye-grabbing soft color against an intense design or harsh metal.

Doll painting in question was my inspiration:












And taking a page from the Oprah book, here are a few my favorite pieces for summer that remind me of that painting:

I like mixing metals, especially rose gold and silver. Bullet hole pendant from Odette 


Beautiful mix of colors-- Beer and peacock quartz necklace from Mrs. Robinson's Affair
Lady-like yet a little harsh. Love Hurts earrings from Joomi Lim
I like the edginess in the rocky "Terrain" stackable rings design from Odette
The turquoise color in this titanium cuff is cooling for summer. Cuff by Joomi Lim

I was surprised to find that this is painted leather. Cuff by Lunaversoul

The blue chain gives this necklace a splash of sparkle by Otte-a-Tete

The rose gold color is so warm in these teardrop earrings from Otte-a-Tete
The blue titanium color is unusual in this chain bracelet by Joomi Lim 
Love the mix of pearl and metal details here at Joomi Lim

On another note, I never did get to eat my huge turkey leg at the festival-- couldn't find any. For shame, Northwest Folklife. For shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment