Like

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

American as apple pie, but with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream on the side

Another Independence Day celebrated with good old fashioned, Americana fun. Good friends, a few drinks, grilling meat on the patio, water balloons, fireworks... and playing Boggle while dipping my feet into a kiddie pool on the rooftop of my apartment. Yeah I said it, and yes, I'm apparently that classy. I've had my fill of firework sparklers to last me until July 4, 2012. Don't fret, friends; sparklers of the jewelry variety continue to flow through my veins!


I started writing this blog with a specific purpose in mind: to celebrate the artistry in jewelry. And up until now, I've celebrated one side of the artistry-- how the wearer puts together a jewelry look. The artistry begins though when the jeweler created a beautiful piece out of raw materials.

In honor of our recent celebrations, let's look at this argument the great American way-- litigiously!

Opening Statement: The creativity that goes into jewelry making is an artistry severely overlooked in my opinion. I'm excited when I hear art museums showcasing the work of jewelry makers because the process can sometimes be very much the same as a painter or a sculptor. Added bonus, this art form can be worn instead of just hung up on a wall. It's a living and breathing medium.

Exhibit A: 
Lea Stein Bakelite bracelet

Last Friday, I came upon a small boutique in the Pioneer Square neighborhood that sold Bakelite bangles and rings-- particularly those of Art Deco artist and jewelry creator, Lea Stein. The girl at the store mentioned Lea Stein and Bakelite like it was something exceptionally rare, so this picked my curiosity strings-- plus, the Art Deco designs kept those strings strumming. A red and yellow layered snake bangle caught my eye and now I'm the proud owner of a Lea Stein original that won't leave my wrist. 

At first glance, my bracelet looks like just a colorful plastic bangle. However, after some research of Bakelite, I have a much better appreciation of the work that goes into creating this piece because I feel I'm wearing a piece of jewelry history. (Side note: I'm aware that Lea Stein is not American but is French. So just think of her work as American as apple pie, with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream on the side.) Bakelite jewelry got it's start during the Depression era when jewelry materials like tortoise shell and ivory were scarce and expensive. Bakelite was a great alternative because it could closely mimic these mediums without the added cost. It again resurfaced in the sixties for the same reasons: affordability and versatility. What caught my attention of the material is that it can be molded and intricately carved or it can be layered a la the Lea Stein approach, inserting lace or brocade between color layers producing different textures. With the layering technique, it can take up to six months to create just one piece. 

Closing Argument: But Bakelite wasn't just used for jewelry either as seen here. The history and usage of Bakelite is like wearing a page straight out of American history on your body. It speaks volumes to the artistry of the wearer, the admirer and the creator.

And on that note, Happy Fourth of July all!!

        
  

2 comments:

  1. The bracelet shown above is nice. It is simple yet elegant. Could you put in some more pictures of such kind of jewelry? Also can you provide me with the exact address? I would like to visit this boutique. Eddie @adiamor.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eddie-- the boutique is the Clothing Company- 87 Yesler. It's mainly a clothing store but has a few unique jewelry pieces up by the register. For pics, google Lea Stein or Bakelite and a whole slew of images will pop up. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete